Saturday, May 2, 2009

mei tai and am I crunchy???

My very sweet neighbor is having her first child this summer. She's so giddy with excitement and that makes me so very happy for her. Well, silly me decided I'd make her a mei tai baby carrier for her baby shower gift. Umm.. yeah... I don't sew. I suck at it. But I somehow managed to get it done after a lot of cussing and screaming. The stitching doesn't look all that great, but it's made. I even tested it out by carrying a nearly 40lb Natalie in it so I know it will be fine for an infant.


If you don't know what a mei tai is-google it. It's seriously the best baby item out there. I carried Natalie in mine almost everyday for a year and carried in it regularly up until age 2.


Here's the one I made. It's reversible with polka dots on one side and stripes on the other.




I am disappointed. As much as I carried Natalie in it I only have 1 picture of me carrying her-at least only 1 that I found. Here she is happy as can be while riding on my back. Her little face was covered in eczema.

So while at the baby shower this afternoon someone brought up cloth diapers. I mentioned that I tried them and used them with Natalie and suddenly I looked like the freak in the room. Which leads me to my question--am I bit crunchy? Crunchy as in hippi, natural, organic, etc.

Let's see:

I have cloth diapered.

I wore my baby in a baby carrier.

I homemade her babyfood.

I use mostly vinegar when I clean.

I make homemade laundry detergent.

I make our pasta sauces and breads from scratch.

I try to buy foods without high frutose corn syrups.

I recycle on a regular basis.

I no longer use paper plates and paper napkins.

I try not to use as many paper towels.

Yep, I think I am towards the crunchy side. Yikes!

3 comments:

Melissa said...

It looks nice. :)
I didn't know you made your own laundry detergent. what do you use?

Christine said...

Ok, I guess if you put it THAT way. :P I think most "crunchy" mamas don't let their kids eat fast food a lot and probably don't let their kids watch tv or play on the computer. You may just be MOSTLY crunchy. Nata looks so cute in that picture. Miss you! <3

Brandy said...

Melissa~ At tipnut.com they have a whole list of laundry detergent recipes. They use borax, washing soda, and a bar of soap. It was super easy to make and it's going to last me a really long time. I had to do it because Natalie is so sensitive to detergents.

Christine~ Well, at least I am only somewhat-haha. Actually, I've been struggling with the eating out lately. I read the book Eat This Not That so it's opened my eyes up to all the calories and fat grams. Yuck! Anyway, we are cutting back which is good for the waste line and the wallet.